These days, you do not have to be strapped to an office chair sitting behind your computer to be productive. You can actually work on-the-go with various technologies available today. While some would cringe at the thought of working 24/7, being able to access your work files anytime, anywhere using mobile devices is actually a convenience you can enjoy. When used properly, these devices can make your working life a whole lot easier and less stressful. Think of sitting on a comfy couch at Starbucks while finishing up some admin work on your tablet – this sure paints a more pleasant picture of the work environment. You can work while on the train or while stuck in traffic perhaps to book a working lunch or even to send out the day’s memos. You can even go on a travel tour and not worry about going back to a pile of paperwork when you get back from your vacation. You only need to have the right tools to work on-the-go.
1. Mobile computing device. The gadgets today are already capable of basic computing processes. You do not even need a laptop anymore to do your office tasks. As long as you have a tablet or a smartphone with the right operating systems and compatible software, you’re good to go. Make sure you have a browser that can open your email accounts and social media accounts. You also need a device that can run any corporate apps and software that you might need.
2. Connectivity. You don’t need to be hooked up to wires anymore to be connected to the internet. There’s WiFi and 4G technology to keep you connected even while you are on-the-go. Most commercial establishments offer free WiFi to their patrons – now, that’s a great excuse to hang out at your favourite coffee shop for hours. You can also make use of your mobile phone plan for 4G internet services. There are also mobile pocket wifi devices that you can simply plug into your device to connect to the internet.
3. Storage. For file access anytime anywhere, you can make use of cloud storage. There are actually some platforms like Google Drive and Dropbox that allow you to store your files and even share them with others. The great thing about these cloud services is that you can sync your files so you don’t have to worry about not having the latest version of your files when you work on another device. Collaborations are also much more convenient this way. Entire work teams do not necessarily have to be in one location to accomplish their goals.
Recent developments in mobile technology are meant to make lives easier. Knowing how to take advantage of these modern ways of getting work done will surely help you make better use of your time anywhere you are – even while on a European tour.
Daughter at Disneyland Resort Paris
Traveling is a great way to expand people’s horizons. Experiencing different cultures and discovering new sights is a fun and exciting way to learn about the world. Travel fanatics would invest time and money in exploring new frontiers from the most rugged to the most modern destinations around. There are also those whose aim is to visit the Seven Wonders of the World during their lifetime and others who would be simply happy to travel in places that they can afford.
The wide range of travel packages available allows families to achieve their travel dreams easily. Parents can plan their vacation with the kids to destinations that will bring them memories to last a lifetime. Here are some vacation spots that Kiddie Travelers are sure to enjoy.
A. Paris, France. This Romantic City of Lights is a favored destination for sophisticated urban chic travelers, art lovers, and romantic couples but they also offer some great spots for children of all ages. A trip to Paris will not be complete without a trip to the iconic Eiffel Tower. Families can enjoy a lovely picnic in the lawn or surrounding park areas with a great view of the tower. The Seine River Cruise is also another way for the kids to enjoy the Paris landscape, scenery and architecture. But the most popular Parisian spot for kids is none other than Disneyland Paris. A day is not enough to cover all the wonderful attractions in their magical place and if the kids have their way, they’ll probably spend their entire vacation with the Disney Characters that they love.
B. Japan is another fun and interesting place for the kids to visit. The land of Hello Kitty and anime characters hold some of the most innovative and modern structures around. The Sanrio Puroland Theme Park holds seven attractions that feature Hello Kitty and her Sanrio friends. The kids will also love taking their pictures wearing various Sanrio costumes at the Mini Photo Factories and Plants at the Puroland. They also have their own Tokyo Disney Resort with the twin amusement parks Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea. Let the kids experience Japanese culture with a visit to the Ghibli Museum, Mount Fuji and Tokyo Tower, a ride in the Bullet Train, and stop at a traditional Japanese Restaurant.
C. Germany is also a great destination for Theme Park Lovers with the Europa-Park and Legoland in its map. The Europa-Park, with a mix of attractions that cater to the adventurous thrill-seekers, children, senior citizens, and the disabled, is one of the best theme parks in the world . A visit to the themed areas, exhibitions and interactive areas is something that the kids will truly enjoy on top of the thrilling rides in the park. Legoland Parks hold more than just roller coaster rides, water adventures and shows in their park. Their MINILAND attraction is an amazing sight to witness. This wonder took over 25 million LEGO bricks to recreate famous European towns and landscapes. There are a lot more theme parks all over the country, you just have to look which is the nearest in the city you are visiting. Parents can also let their kids experience a bit of history and fairy tale magic with a trip to the Castle Road where they can get glimpse of some famous castles in the country.
D. Florida, USA. The sun and the sand make Florida a great destination for some outdoor beach fun for the whole family. Aside from some great family beach resorts, this state also has several theme parks that attract visitors from different parts of the world including Disneyland Florida, Universal Studios Orlando and Sea World Orlando.
E. Las Vegas, Nevada, USA is another bright city that both kids and adults can enjoy. Kid-friendly spots like the Adventure Dome, Lion Habitat, Mirage Dolphins, Stratosphere Tower, Town Square Las Vegas, and the Shark Reef are worth exploring. There are also family shows featuring magic tricks, musicals, and acrobatic performances for the kids to watch. Parents who would like to go on late night excursions after putting the kids to bed need to have an efficient and trusted guardian who can watch over the kids for a few hours.
The children of today are quite lucky to have affordable travel packages and modern conveniences that make traveling a practical leisure option for the whole family. It doesn’t have to take a lifetime to visit dream destinations anymore as some travel goals can be reached with a little planning and a little savings.
My kids and their cousin at Tucherland, Germany
We all love to go to the movie theater to relax after a long day of work. Even if you have to wade through traffic jams, you would be more than willing to endure it just so you can go to a movie theater and enjoy a movie. Obviously, there is more to a movie theater than simply the movie being shown. The pull of the movie theater must have something to do with how you can lose yourself in each movie scene shown. The bigger than life pictures and the surround sound booming from the speakers transport you right inside the silver screen, making you feel as though you’re right beside the characters in the movie.
However, inasmuch as watching a movie in theaters is an awesome experience, there is one hitch – the cost of watching movies. Just imagine how much you would pay for tickets to the latest blockbuster movie if you have a family of five. The cost would probably be enough to put food on the table (with a few dollars left for some dessert!). This is where a home movie theater fits the bill.
A home movie theater would allow you to enjoy the thrills and chills of watching a movie on the big screen with a few conveniences to boot. Are you thinking it’s utterly impossible? Well, think again. This is 2013, which means that (almost) nothing is impossible. Manufacturers of electronics are coming up with state-of-the-art gadgets and gizmos all for the sole purpose of satisfying the need of avid movie watchers who want to set up their own home theater system. Hence, if you know the basic components of a home movie theater, you won’t be thinking twice; you would head out to the nearest shop to buy the things you need.
It doesn’t matter where in the budget spectrum you are. Even with your meager budget, you could still purchase the basic stuff needed to set up the home theater. If you have an extra room in your house that you rarely use, you can convert it into a theater room. A 32-inch high-definition television set would suffice for a small room. Invest on a good DVD player, preferably one with some of the latest features. In addition, invest on at least three high-quality speakers – left, right, and center (or rear). Once you have these basic components, you’re well on your way to enjoying your home theater.
Of course, if you have a bigger budget and a bigger room that you can turn into a home theater, then you could go all out on your purchases. Buy sophisticated appliances – add a subwoofer to your speaker system, buy a projector, install home theater seating, and a plasma TV that almost covers an entire wall of your TV room.
The possibilities are endless, but one fact remains. You can enjoy a movie theater experience right in the comfort of your own home complete with all the snacks you can scour from your pantry. You can even enjoy a movie even while you’re in your pyjamas!
the kids in pyjamas on a theater night out
Spring and summer seasons are perfect for doing general cleaning, home repairs and home improvement projects. The good weather condition allows homemakers to inspect and repair the outer areas of the house or temporarily expose the interiors to facilitate home improvement projects. Most households take advantage of this weather to do some general cleaning and turn their homes inside-out to make sure that everything is in spic and span condition. These tasks are easier said than done which is why there are contractors, carpet cleaning, plumbing and house cleaning services available for those who can’t do everything on their own.
Giving the whole house a thorough cleansing usually involves de-cluttering every room in the house, removing stubborn dirt and stains, disinfecting sensitive areas, and replacing or removing corroded elements in the house. Bathroom and kitchen areas are often easy to address as they are cleansed and disinfected more often that the other rooms in the house. Carpeted areas like the living room and bedroom need extra work especially for rugs with stubborn stains. These areas may be cleaned or vacuumed on a regular basis but they still require a power clean once in a while. Those who are not so skilled in housekeeping are better off with professional cleaners to get their carpets clean and disinfected without losing their luster. The same goes for upholstery and wall carpets. Affordable carpet cleaning services are easy to find nowadays because of the internet. One can even set a same day appointment with their cleaners which is quite convenient for those who entertain guests frequently.
Cleaning the storage areas, basement, attic, or garage can be a tedious task because they usually get the least attention in terms of maintenance. However, these rooms don’t normally require professional attention unless there are toxic materials or electrical hazards involved. Checking the roof and gutter for leaks can be done by any household member with a bit of handyman skills, repairing them on the other hand requires a certain level of expertise. Handyman services can be availed by those who need to get their roof or gutters fixed. There are also contractors who can help on painting jobs, window sill replacement, wall papering, and other major home projects.
Having a clean and healthy home environment is easy when there are affordable professional home services available. It is up to the homemakers to keep it in spic and span condition as long as they can or at least until the next spring cleaning session.
Whoever said, “You can’t buy happiness but you can buy me a book, and that’s kind of the same thing” couldn’t have said it better. I guess this quote proves the saying “Money can’t buy happiness” wrong. After all, you do need money to buy books, and if you’re a certified booklover, then nothing can make you happier than a new book.
Booklovers the world over would agree with me when I say that nothing beats the smell of a new book. Something about the scent lifted with each turn of a page that’s quite magical; it’s hard to explain, but booklovers would know what I’m talking about.
just about cozy…
Hence, if you want to put a genuine smile on a person’s face especially one whom you know has an affinity for books, then, by all means, gift him or her with a book.
There are many reasons why books make great gifts, and here’s some.
- A book makes you productive during the most unproductive time. Does it sound confusing? Well, just think; you follow a stringent schedule every day, and sometimes, it includes waiting for something to happen (e.g. waiting in line at the bank, waiting for your doctor’s appointment, waiting for traffic to move (granted you’re not the one driving), waiting for you next class, etc.). Hence, rather than sit around watching people pass or simply wasting your time away, you could read something from a good book, enjoy, and learn something new.
- Reading = learning. No matter what genre of book you read, you’re bound to learn things. In fact, I know some people who admit that being voracious readers from their youth onwards inspired them to write, and let me tell you this; these people are darn great writers! Reading can enrich your vocabulary, introduce you to different writing styles, teach you proper composition of sentences, and improve your grammar. Nevertheless, more than these things, the greatest learning you get from books is when you apply the things you read in life. When you make mistakes, you can do as a writer does – revise – and write a whole new chapter.
- Each of us goes through a certain phase when we just want to be by ourselves. You find yourself embroiled in a situation where even meeting friends becomes unbearable, so you decide to be by your lonesome. At times like these, a book may turn out to be that one great companion you need. It will never talk back to you, but you could definitely find solace between the pages. Before you know it, you’ll be back to your usual self.
- Books are great for self-reflection. A gripping novel could make you look at yourself and ask, “Am I living my life this way?” You’d be surprised at how you could relate with the characters in a book you’re reading, and more often than not, seeing yourself through a different perspective helps you do some serious self-examination and lets you make necessary changes to your thoughts, ideas, and attitude.
- Reading books make you look smart. This may seem too shallow, but it’s true. Surely, you want your friends or loved ones to look smart, too. That’s why it’s great to give them books as gifts.
- A book can help uplift the spirits of crushed ones. It can help us see through the beauty amidst life’s hardships.
- Books can be a source of inspiration.
These are just some reasons why books are great and why giving these as gifts is always a nice gesture. If you want to make someone truly happy, go buy him a book, and put a smile not just on his face but yours as well.
Leaf through the pages. ^_^
We live in a fast-paced world. Everything seems to go by in a blur and unless you’re quick enough, you’ll be left in the lurch. The hustle and bustle of everyday living is enough to make some people weary and anxious. Some are even high-strung and normally on their toes. While alertness is something that can help you get by in this cutthroat world, there is no denying the fact that it can be dangerous, too. If you’re not careful, the anxieties of life could make your blood pressure shoot up. Aside from hypertension, other illnesses and diseases could get the better of you.
Of course, you can always relax and take things slow. That’s actually the reason why you go home to your family after a grueling day at the office. Nevertheless, there’s no guarantee that you’d get the peace and quiet you want and deserve. If you have young children, chances are they would be too excited to see you and would demand that you play with them. Otherwise, your wife and older children could engage you in small talk, something that’s very common in a household setting.
photo by https://www.flickr.com/photos/minimalspace/
When it seems that the only alone time you could ever have is those few hours before you retire to bed, you might want to invest on an aquarium. Many people have discovered the calming effect that aquariums provide.
It’s scientifically proven that the movement of water can soothe a person’s mind. Hence, if you are always tightly wound, having an aquarium at home can do wonders for you. Not only does it enhance your home aesthetically but the movement of the water as the fish moves also creates a calm rhythm that can permeate an entire room.
Having an aquarium at home is also a wonderful opportunity to explore your creativity. When you go to a pet store, you’d find plenty of items you can use to make your aquarium even more beautiful than it already is. Make sure you buy a feeder, heater, light, filter, and pump for the aquarium. You can also by environment-friendly decors to make your aquarium even more interesting.
Designing your aquarium to create an entirely new world for your colorful schools of fish is enough of a stress-reliever already. Just make sure to set up your aquarium as far away as possible from a window or any direct source of light. Even fish can be stressed especially if the temperature of the water is disrupted. Make sure that nothing impedes with the cool temperature of the water if you want your fish to thrive.
If you’re unsure how to set up an aquarium properly, consult with a trained fish technician. He can give you valuable pointers and ideas about patterns, colors, types of fish, decors, and anything else you may need in relation to your aquarium. Once your aquarium is ready, you’d find yourself more relaxed and calmer.
photo by https://www.flickr.com/photos/genista/