Whoever said, “You can’t buy happiness but you can buy me a book, and that’s kind of the same thing” couldn’t have said it better. I guess this quote proves the saying “Money can’t buy happiness” wrong. After all, you do need money to buy books, and if you’re a certified booklover, then nothing can make you happier than a new book.
Booklovers the world over would agree with me when I say that nothing beats the smell of a new book. Something about the scent lifted with each turn of a page that’s quite magical; it’s hard to explain, but booklovers would know what I’m talking about.
just about cozy…
Hence, if you want to put a genuine smile on a person’s face especially one whom you know has an affinity for books, then, by all means, gift him or her with a book.
There are many reasons why books make great gifts, and here’s some.
- A book makes you productive during the most unproductive time. Does it sound confusing? Well, just think; you follow a stringent schedule every day, and sometimes, it includes waiting for something to happen (e.g. waiting in line at the bank, waiting for your doctor’s appointment, waiting for traffic to move (granted you’re not the one driving), waiting for you next class, etc.). Hence, rather than sit around watching people pass or simply wasting your time away, you could read something from a good book, enjoy, and learn something new.
- Reading = learning. No matter what genre of book you read, you’re bound to learn things. In fact, I know some people who admit that being voracious readers from their youth onwards inspired them to write, and let me tell you this; these people are darn great writers! Reading can enrich your vocabulary, introduce you to different writing styles, teach you proper composition of sentences, and improve your grammar. Nevertheless, more than these things, the greatest learning you get from books is when you apply the things you read in life. When you make mistakes, you can do as a writer does – revise – and write a whole new chapter.
- Each of us goes through a certain phase when we just want to be by ourselves. You find yourself embroiled in a situation where even meeting friends becomes unbearable, so you decide to be by your lonesome. At times like these, a book may turn out to be that one great companion you need. It will never talk back to you, but you could definitely find solace between the pages. Before you know it, you’ll be back to your usual self.
- Books are great for self-reflection. A gripping novel could make you look at yourself and ask, “Am I living my life this way?” You’d be surprised at how you could relate with the characters in a book you’re reading, and more often than not, seeing yourself through a different perspective helps you do some serious self-examination and lets you make necessary changes to your thoughts, ideas, and attitude.
- Reading books make you look smart. This may seem too shallow, but it’s true. Surely, you want your friends or loved ones to look smart, too. That’s why it’s great to give them books as gifts.
- A book can help uplift the spirits of crushed ones. It can help us see through the beauty amidst life’s hardships.
- Books can be a source of inspiration.
These are just some reasons why books are great and why giving these as gifts is always a nice gesture. If you want to make someone truly happy, go buy him a book, and put a smile not just on his face but yours as well.
Leaf through the pages. ^_^