If your home has recently been struck by disaster, you need to act fast. There is no time to lose if your home is threatened by fire, flooding, or some other form of catastrophe. One of the worst things that can happen to your home is something that may not even be noticeable at first. After the flames have been put out and all of the water has been pumped away, your home may still be in serious danger. Mold and bacteria can hide in the nooks and crannies of your home, silently breeding for months or even years until suddenly appearing and becoming a serious health hazard.
Although we haven’t experienced fire or flooding, I’ve noticed some of our walls turning gray with spots of black this past winter. It wasn’t as dramatic so I just sprayed some “Schimmelentferner” (mold remover) from a hardware store near our place and followed the instructions to heart. It got better. But, not all mold appearances at home can be as easy as that. Here are some things you should know and do when faced with mold problems at home.
Black Mold Growth and Other Forms of Fungus Are a Major Health Issue
You should know that bacteria and fungus can breed for years before you are even aware of it. The danger posed by black mold is especially serious. This is a particularly virulent form of mold that, if not caught in time, can quickly spiral out of hand. Black mold is so noxious to the human respiratory system that it can send you to the hospital before you are aware of the cause of your attack. Meanwhile, it can cause your home to be condemned as unfit to live in, leading ultimately to the property being razed to the ground. This is not an outcome you want to see happen.
After the Disaster Is Over, It’s Time to Call in a Restoration Service
After the initial disaster is over and your property is returned to you, it’s an excellent idea to call in a professional restoration service. Once you make the call, they can send a team of experts to your property to inspect the damage and give you a fair and accurate appraisal of what it will cost to fix it. They will also check for signs of mold and bacteria growth so as to nip this potential health hazard in the bud. Professional mold removal service is a must if you want to avoid serious health issues down the road. This is one area you don’t want to skimp or cut corners in.
This Is Not a Job Where You Want to Try a “Do It Yourself” Approach
Fixing up your home after a major flood or fire is serious business. You don’t want to try a “Do It Yourself” approach in this situation, as you may end up injuring yourself or simply making the job even more difficult for experts to perform. It’s always the best idea to leave the renovation work to a trained professional. The sooner you make the call, the sooner your life will return to normal. Do not think that it is a waste of money, as your and your family’s health is on the line.
This is also a reason why having house insurance is recommended. In cases when total renovation is needed, depending on your policy, your insurance can shoulder the expenses. So choose your home insurance policy wisely, make sure that mold growth and invasion will be covered.