Establishing a career in writing or public relations can be tough for inexperienced or budding writers of today. All the more now that competition in this field is becoming more intense. Those who would like to get an edge from competition need to explore other arenas where they can showcase their talents and get noticed by potential employers. One form of media that these promising writers can take advantage of is social networking platforms like blogs, Twitter, and Facebook. They are very effective tools for those who want to see and be seen in the modern digital world.
Blogging in Support of Writing
For writers, blogging is a great way to get noticed with little or no cost at all. There are plenty of keen readers who pay attention to well-written blogs. Surely, one of them may be your future employer. However, those who want readers to recognize their talents should pay attention to how they manage their blogs. There are some points to consider in creating blogs that can catch the attention of employers.
What goes into your blog? The most important aspect of any blog is its content. There are a lot of smart readers out there who look for meat or knowledge tidbits in an article or a write up. If you would like your blog to serve as an advertisement of your skills, then write a blog around subjects of your expertise. Even non-writers can use this media to promote their talents. Interior designers or stylists can have a blog about their accomplished projects. Readers who appreciate their work may decide to get their services for future projects. Focusing the content on what your target readers will appreciate should keep your blog aligned with your personal and professional objective.
Frequency in Publishing
How often should you write a post? Keep readers interested in your blog by posting write-ups on a regular basis. People like to be kept on the loop when it comes to the latest trends and product features. Making sure that your posts are updated in these matters gives you an edge against other blogs. Giving your readers at least two new entries a week can be good enough to keep them hooked in your pages.
Easy navigation, cool colors, and a no-clutter look are some of the things that keep readers stay in a website. That’s aside from the great content it provides. While writing is your main focus, learning how to effectively use visuals on the side is also important. The use of font styles and sizes also affect your overall impression.
Bringing in Audience
Where can you get additional readers? If you really want to get noticed then you should work on driving more traffic to your blog site. Make use of social media sites like facebook and twitter to get more followers and expand your reach. Interesting contents are likely to be shared by your readers to their own social circles thereby increasing the number of visitors in your blog exponentially. Use sharing and tweeting prudently to make sure that people appreciate your efforts and not get turned off by it. Tweet about your personal promotions 20% of the time and use the remaining 80% for engaging in “tweeps” or promoting affiliate blogs.
Getting Paid in the Process
It is no secret that blogging also brings in extra money, aside from the writing payment. If you own a website, you can monetize it through advertisements and affiliate marketing. If you decide to choose a niche dedicated to writing, you can also sell books or publish your own e-book to sell.
With all these things considered, budding writers and professionals should keep in mind that enjoying what you do often lead to success. Learn to love your blog and treat it as a hobby instead of a chore and people are likely to recognize your talent. Who knows, you might suddenly find employers lining-up to get your services.